Friday, March 11, 2011

Delightful Friday....grandpa edition


Today I'm taking delight in these flowers. They were from some of the flowers that were given for my grandfather's funeral. I don't know if this is a normal thing to do, but in our family, after the graveside service, anyone who wants to takes a flower or two from the bouquets to remember the person and the day.

Normally I'm a pink rose girl, but I think I may have a new favorite. These dark red roses next to the creamy white roses and lily are making my day.

Grandpa's funeral was...well...I don't have a word for it. But if I could make up a new word it would mean wonderful, majestic, extensive, with layers of complexity, tender, regal, heartfelt and homey. Sounds a little contradictory doesn't it. I think that's because he was so many things. He was a tender, loving father and grandfather. He was a bold preacher. He was a visionary man of God. He was sensitive to the Holy Spirit. He was a good friend with a wild and mischievous sense of humor.

I am going to remember the music (regal, beautiful,with brass fanfare). I am going to remember the speakers who each gave insight into different areas of Grandpa's life and how they showed who he was. I am going to remember eyes filled with tears and words choked back, but understanding exactly what was meant. I am going to remember opportunities to talk with each of our children about faith, and heaven, and heavenly bodies, and God's goodness. I am going to remember singing clearly what I could not verbalize.

God is good, and I'm glad I'll see Grandpa again.

You can find out more about my Grandpa and his amazing life here

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0