Monday, October 24, 2011

Last week, I had the privilege of meeting Anthony Bonner, a former NBA player for the New York Nicks. He spoke in chapel at the school my children attend and he told about how he knew Jesus his whole life, practically, but he didn't really have a relationship where Jesus was Lord and in charge of his life. Anthony shared that he had it all - an NBA career, family, money, opportunities to travel - but lost it because he wasn't living his life for Jesus. He encouraged the students to find God's purpose for their lives and to live it out. 
At the end of chapel, he opened it up for the students to ask questions. Some of them were about the NBA and what it was like for him growing up, but there was one that really caught my attention. A student asked, "What made you want to choose Jesus?"

What made you want to choose Jesus?

It's a great question and Anthony gave a great answer, but it made me think, for myself - what made ME choose Jesus? I don't know that I've ever really thought about it. I came to Jesus as a child. I was 5. And no one really "made me" pray. I did it on my own. I didn't even talk to my parents about it. So what was it? Why did I choose Jesus?

I guess I have to say this. First, I saw my parents live a real Christian life. Were they perfect? No, but I saw in them that they trusted Jesus, they loved Jesus, and without Him their live would not be the same. Second, Jesus was presented to me for who He is - someone who sacrificially loved me and wanted the best for my life. That's why I chose Him as a child.

I must admit, though, that experience as a child was just a foundation for my faith. As I grew up, I realized that what God said in the Bible is true in real life. For example, the stories of people in the Old Testament bring out the principles that when you take God at his word and obey him 100% - He blesses you. And when you try to do it your own way, it doesn't work out so well

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I bet he had a great message to share. And if we don't know why we came to Jesus, we can not share our testimony effectively. What a great question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to point out something....you can tell you don't have much to do with the NBA...Knicks. :) Hahaha...Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0