Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February Roundup

Each month I do a round up of the things we did each month. It helps me remember how full my days were and gives me a reference point as I do my scrapbooking. It's the idea of Katie the ScrapbookLady
1. What books or magazines did I read this month?
I read The Wizard of Menlo Park. It was a biography about Thomas Edison, and no, I wasn't doing a book report :o) It was an interesting read, but kinda thick....I had to think alot while reading. The thing that was most interesting was reading about how they invented the phonograph, and that they originally wanted to use it instead of live concerts. They would put the phonograph in the concert hall instead of an orchestra or singer. No one really anticipated them being put in homes.

I also read some books on container gardening, as I am thinking about planting a garden this spring, but I'm not sure I need to take on all that extra work. I also helped #1 read 14 books for his Book it Chart. I'm really proud of how he's doing with that.

2. What movies, television shows, plays, etc. did I watch this month?
We joined Netflix this month!

I watched Stomp Live (loved), Disney's Peter Pan (kids loved - i was surprised by the scariness of it, but it is old school), and World's Greatest Dad (disturbing - not the movie I thought it was when I ordered it - would NOT recommend.)

3. What fun things did I do with my family and/or friends?
VALENTINES DAY!! Normally we don't really do anything big to celebrate because it normally sneaks up on me, but this year we made valentines to give to our family, made pancakes topped with strawberries for lunch to eat on Valentines day (actually Saturday before) and pink strawberry rice crispy treats for snacks. And my hubby and I celebrated by staying home, putting the kids to bed early, and fixing steak and lobster tails for dinner. I bought some cute valentines plates from Target and made a little centerpiece from some pink/white fabric and red and white candles. Lots of fun!!! Very Simple!

We also visited our cousin in Orlando for his 9th birthday which he held at a facility called BounceU. All the kids had LOTS OF FUN!!!

Oh yeah....MONSTER JAM! I took #1 and #2 by myself, and it was fun! A sweet lady in our church gets us tickets every year. Normally Dad goes, but he was out of town on a youth trip, so I had to be super mom. A little scary, and more people than I ever want to be around again in my life, but the kids loved it. This was #2's first time, and just as it was about to start, I looked at her and said, "It's about to get REALLY loud." Then they fired up the engines, and I feel her shaking next to me. I looked over and asked her if she was ok. She looked up to me and said, "I like loud." Priceless....
4. What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Here's the postcard I made of the kids to send to our relatives, and for the kids to give their friends....

I bought the kids cute tshirts for Valentine's day. #1 is really into Lego Star Wars, so when I found a shirt at WalMart in his favorite color - red. I knew I had to buy it. #2 is only 3 1/2, but she's always grabbing our phones and asking to text Daddy, so I saw a shirt at WalMart that says "I love 2 txt" - it was a must buy. #3 is really into music, so I saw a little shirt with a guitar on it for him. For hubby I bought him the latest TobyMac cd. It's it fave artist. He bought me a new cellphone cover, and then....get this....a diamond open hearts pendant from Kay Jewlers. It made my cd look like a pretty silly gift :o) This was big for my hubby b/c he's a really practical person. He'd rather buy something useful than something beautiful, so for him to get this when we hadn't even talked about it was really big! I love it!!

5. What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I've had to buy a lot of printer ink b/c I'm starting to follow a few couponing blogs, and trying my hand at getting more with my money. I still haven't had the shopping trip where I spent $1.28 and got 8 bags of groceries, but I did get $250 of groceries for $110. I was pretty happy with that. My weirdest one was getting $9 worth of nail polish for 45 cents. I also planned meals for the whole month and stuck to the schedule! It helped me to shop more wisely.

6. What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Still fighting with iritis. It's getting annoying. Starting to have a flare up in my SI joints too which I'm fighting to take care of before it gets bad. The kids have been pretty healthy.

7. What were my accomplishments this month?
I started teaching a new Kindermusik class this month - Family Time. Kids ages 0-7 can all be in the same class together, and it's perfect for families who want to take a KM class, but can't have their kids all in different classes - either because of schedule or finances or would just rather do one class instead of multiple ones. I am LOVING IT! Both #1 and #2 go to class with my, and this is #1's first time in a KM class. He gets overexcited, and I have to "re-direct" his energy several times during class, but it's totally worth it.
This one might sound weird, but I got to sing at a funeral this month. We had several funerals in our church of people who really love Jesus, and had been fighting illnesses for a long time. I didn't personally know the man who died, but he told his wife before he died that I was his favorite soloist in church, and he wanted me to sing at his funeral. The family even picked out the songs they wanted me to sing, one of which I didn't know. It's called "If you could see me now." It's probably the hardest song that I've ever sung. I was able to learn them in 2 days, and sing them really, really well.

8. What were my disappointments this month?
I haven't gotten to scrapbook or blog as much as I've wanted.
One of the girls in our church seems to be distancing herself from God.
I can't seem to get myself organized to do the most important things.....

9. How did I do on my goals for the month? (Or any current short or long term goals)
My word for the year is streamline........we're working on it. I feel like I need to totally empty out the dining room cabinets and work on that room. We re-organized and re-purposed our hall closets to hold the toys better, and it's working. I also re-organized the office shelves so they look a little nicer, and I threw away a bunch of CRAP!!! Wow...I didn't realize I did all that!

10. Anything else noteworthy to include?
#1 keeps getting huge complements from his teacher (the sub from his teacher who is on maternity leave) about how tenderhearted and smart he is. They are working on money concepts, and it's amazing how much he's learning. Like...This item costs 15 cents. How many nickels do you need to buy it? When he buys those items in his class, he always is giving them to the kids who didn't get any or to his sis and bro. Maybe that's not such a big deal, but I think it is.
#3 is FINALLY getting potty training. He's wearing undies all day at home, and on short trips out. Can't wait til we don't have to carry diaper bags around any more!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0