Sunday, July 3, 2011

New approach to Rounding up....

One of my goals for the year is to "round up" each month - collect the memories of the things we did before they slip away and use them as a way to document and journal about our lives (as part of my addiction to scrapbooking). Well, as you can see, I've only completed January's - and not until mid March. What you can't see is that I have round up drafts hiding on my computer, in blogger, on my iPad, in my brain, in Photoshop....just not done because I felt like I couldn't complete it.



Well, I was already feeling a bit guilty about another New Year's resolution biting the dust, then I started listening to this episode of the Paperclipping Digi show about doing "year in review" layouts. It made matters worse, because the lady who inspired me to do this (Katie the Scrapbook Lady) was one of the guests. I listened anyway. The more I listened the better I felt. What I was really struggling with was getting it just right - telling the story the way someone else would tell it - getting my story to fit into someone elses box. Not, that Katie's prompts are bad (they aren't - they're great!!), but by answering them, I was telling the "everyday" parts of our lives, but some of the VITAL things were getting left out (or I was having a hard time finding a prompt to fit them in.) The 2 digi show episodes I listened to that day (here's the link to the other one) made me realize that I'm the only one who knows the prompts to my story.

I'll say it again...

I'm the only one who knows the prompts to my story.

I'm already starting on June's roundup. So much happened to our family this month - so much change - so many things God can only get the credit for. It will be up by the end of this week.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! You are so right on to include your own twist on the roundup - my prompts are just starters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I know I'm going to go overboard on this Roundup b/c our life was so full this month. I know if I don't get it out, the details will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Love that you are doing it! My roundups are still on paper! But at least they are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I think it's great!! Get it done, and get it out there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0