Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Hard Drive

Have you ever had your computer give you a warning that if you don't shut down some of the stuff you're doing, it will crash b/c of a lack of memory? Well....if you haven't, it's no fun. I bought a 120 G MacBook a year and a half ago (and love it, by the way), but in a year-and-a-half, I was down to 5 Gs of memory. A digiscrapper's worst nightmare.....

Let me tell you what I did Saturday....

Saturday morning I bought a Toshiba 500G external hard drive from Best Buy, and I was talking to the sales guy about different ways to set it up, and he said to me "Y'know, you can just take that bad boy apart and install it into your computer. Alls ya gotta do is pop off the plastic, take out your laptop battery, unscrew 3 screws, pull out the old hard drive in pop in the new one. You can watch kids do it on you tube" So I went home, and watched kids do it on you tube....I also found some directions on the apple website. And after the speed scrap @ PrettyScrappy on Saturday, I started taking the EHD apart, then my laptop, then my hard drive, then I put in the new hard drive, formatted it, re-installed my operating system....by that time is was 2:45 am, so I decided to go to bed. Sunday's church...we're pretty busy all day. So on Monday, I start pulling my stuff off my backup drive. There were 3 different ways to do it, and I guess I must have chosen the slowest way to do it b/c it took 42 hours to restore 115G of stuff from my backup to my new hard drive...but at 545 this morning it was all back, and now I have 500Gs of memory on my computer!

This was about the craziest, techno-geeekiest thing I have ever done. Wait....take out the "about." This was FOR CERTAIN the craziest, techno-geekiest thing I have ever done. And while I was waiting the 42 hours for my backup to be restored onto my computer, I did wonder if it was worth it. And my answer was...yeah...if it all restores, then it's totally worth it. I had to "unplug" for a few days. I had lots of Facebook and email to catch up on, but that's not the end of the world. And now I have a ton of memory and no peripheral hard drive to worry about.....Let the downloading begin!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0