Friday, October 1, 2010

Chicken Spinach Alfredo Pizza

You never know where inspiration will strike. I was walking through the deli section at Publix, and saw this package....



You know what it said to me? Make pizza on the grill. A spinach chicken alfredo pizza to be specific. It's weird, but food talks to me sometimes. I can't explain it, but it's a fact.

Here's a blow by blow of how I did it. Please note, I'm not really a measuring/recipe kinda girl. Even when I do have a recipe, I follow it more like a suggestion than a commandment. Is that so wrong?

Ok, start with chicken on the grill. I seasoned it with McCormick's garlic and herb seasoning.


Take it off and let it rest and cool. This chicken is resting on my Valentine's plates I bought from Target earlier this year that we still use daily, because honestly, who wouldn't say I love you to nicely grilled chicken? Not this girl!


I decided to make the alfredo sauce next. Yes I said make, as in, from scratch. Normally I'm a pour it out of a jar girl, and you can do it that way if you want, but I remember years ago a girl in our youth group made alfredo sauce from scratch in my kitchen, and it was easy. My hubby still raves over it....and I wanted a little adventure.....


So melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in your skillet. Real butter is probably better, but all I had was the I can't believe it's not butter stuff that I bought BOGO at Publix a few weeks ago, so I used it. Shake in some flour to make a roux. Yes, mom, if you want to pronounce it "roooo-cks" because it sounds fancier, you may. Whatever makes your skirt fly up.


Stir it together until it's nice and golden brown.


Then pour in some milk or cream. I poured in enough to cover the bottom of the pan, and then I added some more. So what's that like 2 cups? or 12? I dunno. I'm bad with measurements.



Next add in cheese. I put in some parmesan - about four ounces. How do I know that? because it was an unopened 6 ounce container and I poured 2/3 of it in. (see, I'm capable of measuring, but I just don't like too) I also threw in some shredded mozzarella. I think I added more milk too because it was really goooey and not very saucey.


I finished it off with some pepper and a sprinkle of nutmeg. In hindsight, I would have added more liquid (milk or maybe broth) because it ended up too roux-y gooey and not as sauce-y as I wanted, but it still tasted amazing, so I stuck with it.

Ok, now for the spinach part. I decided I needed some garlic flavor in this pizza, and I had some mushrooms, so I chopped them up and threw them with some of that "not-butter" in the skillet and started cooking them.



Wait....why are they not cooking? Maybe it's because I forgot to turn the burner back on. Operator Error=fail.



Once the mushrooms started to get soft, I grabbed a big ol' handful of baby spinach. I don't really want to cook it like crazy. I just want it to wilt down a little. So I lowered the heat in the pan with the mushrooms still in it and I threw the spinach in on top. Within a minute or 2, it went from looking like this.....


to looking like this.....


Perfect.
Ok, now time to assemble the pizzas. I spread oil on the Naaan bread.



I wish I could say it was some kinda fancy-pants, herb infused, hand pressed olive oil....

but it wasn't.



Spread on the alfredo.



Remember that chicken? Cube it up and throw it on top.



Add the spinach/mushroom/garlic/amazing mixure



And what better to top a cheese sauce based pizza with? You got it...more cheese. It's a rule of life, and the fat on my tushie is just going to have to live with it.


Alright, on to the grill it goes. Grilling tips - Keep your flame LOW!!! If your grill is retarded like mine is, you're going to have to move your pizzas around to prevent the bottom of them from getting burned in your hot spots....just sayin'.



Once the cheese is melted, then it's ready to eat!

Here's one handsome and satisfied customer! He ate all of his. I ate half of mine, and had the other half for lunch today, and it was just as good re-heated as it was the first time.



Try it yourself and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0