Friday, December 31, 2010

Reverb 10 - Trying

December 18 – Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? (Author: Kaileen Elise)



I want to learn to play the guitar this year. My parents bought me my guitar for my birthday my junior year of college ( I think ). I played it that summer at the camp where I was a counselor. I could play 5 chords - D, G, A, Em, and C. If you can play those 5, you can play most camp songs. I've played the guitar on and off, but never really got past those 5 chords. I hated having finger calluses. I don't strum strongly, and basically, the guitar can be hard if you don't practice.

Really, though, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to play the guitar. I was a music major for pete's sake! I understand the theory behind it. I know the notation. I know notes, rhythms, and chords. I can tune the thing without a tuner.

There's 2 reasons I want to pick up the guitar - maybe 3....First, I want to enjoy music this year. I don't really get to do anything with music that isn't work. I teach lessons; I teach music classes; I direct a choir. And while I enjoy all of my music related jobs, I don't really just get to enjoy making music to make music.

Second, I would like to be able to play guitar for myself while I sing. I've always enjoyed the "singer-songwriter" sound, and I'd like to be able to pull that off. The crazy thing is, I can almost see myself sitting on a stool, in a church, talking to other women from the heart, and then singing from the heart while I play for myself. Maybe that's a little unrealistic, but it's a dream.

Third....the guitar is just cool....amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0